"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day. And I believe in miracles."
~ Audrey Hepburn

2.18.2011

La Chascona

Photo Credit: Nallely Ruiz
Photo Credit: Nallely Ruiz
Today I took a final exam, gave a presentation in front of my entire program,
and tonight I will be flying to the southern-most point in the world (besides Antarctica),
P  A  T  A  G  O  N  I  A. 

I can't contain my excitement... I plan to go hiking, camp in a national park, 
see lakes, waterfalls, and glaciers, and even travel to an island inhabited by penguins!
When I return from my trip in a week, I will be moving out of my homestay and into
an apartment with a few girls from my program and a couple of Chileans.
And thennn, it is time for Fall quarter!

These girls will be my travel companions in Patagonia
For now, I will leave you with some pictures from my visit to one of 
Pablo Neruda's houses, La Chascona in Santiago. Pablo Neruda won
 the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971 and is arguably the most famous, talented, romantic
 Latin American poet in the world. This visit was very special to me because 
Latin American literature is what inspired me to come to Chile.
 Pablo Neruda's house was everything I imagined and more.
I can't wait to visit his other houses in Isla Negra and Valparaíso. 
Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but these pictures
 definitely capture the ethereal yet eclectic vibe of the surrounding area.

 
 
 


4 comments:

Sarah said...

ahh! so awesome:)

as you know, I love Pablo Neruda. I love you. and, I think I love Patagonia.

also, I just had a Chilean sauvignon blanc with my dinner and thought of you. <3

Bryan Murray said...

Geez you weren't kidding about all the graffiti. I can't wait to hear about your trip and your penguin pictures haha. Also I bought some grapes at Albertsons and looked at the bag afterwards and it said they were from Chile. Maybe they were the same grapes used to make Sarah's wine :)

P.S. You look sexy in that purple dress ;)

Marcella Alyssa said...

Love you SMDD!

And B, grapes and wine are ironically produced completely separately! In other words, they don't sell the same grapes that they use to make wine. Believe me, I asked! hahah

Sarah Rider said...

wall paintings ftw! if you find more definitely post them!