"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day. And I believe in miracles."
~ Audrey Hepburn

2.26.2011

Isla Magdalena

My trip to southern Chile was incredible! I actually used my memory stick to its
capacity and had to stop taking pictures haha. Since there is so much to talk about, I will
start with the first point of interest on our trip: Isla Magdalena.





 


This island is in the Strait of Magellan and is a couple of hours off the coast of 
the city Punta Arenas, where my friends and I were staying in a hostel. 
And guess what???

IT IS FULL OF PENGUINS!



















It was seriously one of the most amazing things I had ever seen.

Something strange: the sun didn't blend into the sky as it disappeared into the horizon.
I suppose it is due to the fact that we were literally at the end of the earth.



And after the sun completely disappeared, it was still light outside!
The sky began to turn pink and purple for the next few hours and then, finally, night fell. 

I love southern Chile!
Coming soon: camping in Torres del Paine...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD THE PENGUINS!!!! THE PENGUINS!! THERE ARE SO MANY PENGUINS!!!!!!! DID YOU PET ANY OF THEM?? ABBY SAID I WAS REALLY HIGH PITCHED SAYING ALL OF THIS. I LOVE PENGUINS!!!
love,
shell

Bryan Murray said...

Maybe you ran out of memorory cuz you took a BILLION PICTURES OF PENGUINS! It's cool that you were able to get so close to them. What if all of them just decided to start an uprising and attack you guys??? I bet they'd be pretty fierce all at once haha. Oh and I'm still mad that you didn't ride any >:o

P.S. me like the pic of you in the red :)

Marcella Alyssa said...

Mitch - We totally wanted to touch the penguins and totally could've (THEY WERE SO CLOSE) but we weren't allowed to. We were going to be bad and do it anyway but we were afraid that 1. The touch would be poisonous and we'd go into epileptic shock 2. There would be a special chemical in the penguin skin and our hands would turn purple and then everybody would know it was us, or 3. The penguin would become very angry and they would all turn on us and would not stop until we were all dead.

Bryan - This thought definitely occurred to us. Our idea was that the penguins are only nice and friendly while visitors were there and when our boat left, they went wild.

P.S. Thanks haha :)

Sarah Rider said...

loooved it! i kept trying to find penguins in NZ but they're so elusive!!

Sarah said...

ahhh, so amazing!

(and you look GORGEOUS, mi amiga. seriously, caliente!)

<3