"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day. And I believe in miracles."
~ Audrey Hepburn

10.24.2010

Never Was a Story of More Woe...

Yesterday I went on a very romantic date with Miss Hannah B. 
First, I picked her up from her apartment. I forgot to bring flowers though... 
( I hope that doesn't ruin my chances of a second date :/ )

Our first stop was dinner at Opal in downtown SB. Suchhh an adorable restaurant.
I had the prosciutto, goat cheese, & garlic spinach pizza and Hannah had 
vegetable napoleon with a gorgonzola potato cake and wild mushrooms.

Are you drooling yet?

After dinner we strolled over to the Granada theater because I had a couple of these:


Romeo & Juliet THE BALLET! Which means I accomplished goal
#058: Watch a ballet
 other than The Nutcracker.

Obviously I was psyched to watch Romeo & Juliet because 
I have a strange obsession with all things Shakespearean. 
And when I saw that it was going to be a ballet, I nearly peed with excitement. 
You see, my sisters & I have been going to see The Nutcracker ballet nearly every year since
we were little girls. It is one of my most favorite things in this planet! I have the entire
ballet on my iPod and I can literally narrate the entire thing to you, ya know, if you wanted me to :)

If I could rewind my life and change one thing, I would be a ballerina. I just think ballet 
is so beautiful/magical/ephemeral. I love the concept of telling a story through dance, 
I love how the ballerinas' dresses slowly swirl as they move, and I also kinda like to
watch male ballerinas prance around in tights heeheheh. 


To get an idea of what we watched, here are a few stills I found via Google Images...

 

The performance was just so... romantic.
I was really amazed at how well they told the story without dialogue.
I was sad I didn't get to hear some of my favorite quotes in literature recited, though...

"Did my heart love till now?forswear it, sight!
 For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night"

"the gentle sin is this..."

"O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do"

"For never was a story of more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo"



We had pretty nice seats up on the balcony, but I suggested to Hannah that we ask the usher
if we could switch seats after intermission (we had our eyes on the open boxes!).
After he explained that we could only switch to seats that were in our level,
Hannah & I kind of laughed at the idea of being upgraded to box seats.

BUT THEN! The usher returned!!! 

He told us that there was a box available and that we could sit in it
if we liked!!!! So basicallyyyy, we got to watch the second act like royalty. 


Didn't I tell you, ladies & gentlemen?? Ask and you shall receive
The only awkward parts in the show were when Romeo danced with the dead Juliet 
(necrophila, anyone?) and also when Juliet stabbed herself and fell pretty dang far from Romeo,
which meant that she had to drag herself, as she writhed in pain, over to his dead body.
If anything, those little additions definitely upped the tragic element! 



Sighh. I'm still reveling in the beauty of the ballet.
This, most certainly, will not be the last one I attend.

2 comments:

Bryan Murray said...

Sorry babe, I don't think you'll see me prancing around in tights anytime soon.

P.S. Opal sounds yummy. Let's go there soon :)

Anonymous said...

AAAAHHHH I AM SO JEALOUUUUSSSS! especially the balcony seats!!! i was watching pretty woman the other day and i was totally jonesing to do something like that! did you "almost pee your pants"? sorry. that's what julia roberts said to this old lady after the show was over. we need to go see peter pan. it's not a ballet but it's a BEAUTIFUL play that's going on at the OC theater. okay that's all. byebye :)

<3 shell