"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day. And I believe in miracles."
~ Audrey Hepburn

9.20.2010

Sparkles, Silence, and Music.

I have a few updates for you :)

First of all, I accomplished a goal:
#083: Get another piercing.

People are pretty split about tattoos/piercings. 
Some view them as vile and assert that they would never vandalize their body with one.
Others see them as works of art or a form of self-expression. I am one of the latter.

Before Friday, I had 6 piercings. Now I have eight -- and I don't plan to stop any time soon. 
I don't mean to lead you to believe that I am some extremist or hippie...

My take on piercings/tattoos is much more subtle than that haha.
My dad is an artist who works for Disney and my mother's business/hobby 
is making jewelry so you can't blame me for admitting that...
I just love sparkly things!!! 

I love magic and fantasy and glitter and so why wouldn't I choose to decorate my body 
with jewelry and artwork? I like a classy look, though -- only clear austrian swarovski crystal for me
(mama has taught me well!). I am also seriously researching dermal piercings.
One of my sisters has dermals on her lower back (back dimples) and I think they
are really pretty. I would love to have some extra glitz. 

In regards to tattoos, I plan to have (at least) three before I turn thirty. 
I already have body parts and designs chosen. Not exactly sure what I am waiting for...
Money? Cajones? Inspiration?

Get a tattoo is also a goal on my Day Zero Project so rest assured that 
I will get at least one before my project ends (July 22, 2012). 

Anyway. Drumroll please!!! 

Emily went with me to get pierced, of course. 


Emily got her cock conch conk rook pierced. (Oh Emily... hahaha) It's really cool, isn't it?!
And I just added a third hole to each ear. Hehe. Boring, I know. 
But so pretty! I just like that fact that I can have two crystals in each of my ears
at all times PLUS wear one of my mother's beautiful designs (above!).

♥ ♥ ♥

In other news, I attempted to accomplish goal #074: Spend an entire day without speaking.
Let's just say that was a huge crock! I have clearly underestimated my constant need
to open my fat mouth! I cannot stay silent to save my life.
I kept forgetting and speaking, thus prolonging the 24 hour period in which 
I was supposed to refrain from speaking. By the third day of silence, I was going crazy.
I gave up on that for now, but don't worry, I will go back to it when I have 
gained strength! Hahaha I know this sounds overdramatic, but man. 
You try spending a weekend with your boyfriend (who, by nature, can't even understand
me when I speak in perfect English) without wanting to pull out your hairs.
(hehe love you B)

♥ ♥ ♥

Oh! I almost forgot! I am also in the process of accomplishing goal
#090: Volunteer for a cause I care about.

I originally did not plan on blogging about this because it started out as 
an internship. Somewhere along the lines I have come to care deeply about
this organization, what they are trying to accomplish, and what I can do 
to help them. I "work" for SBYMA, the Santa Barbara Youth Music Academy. 
SBYMA is a non-profit organization that operates something like an after-school
music program. Students can sign up to take private lessons in ANY instrument,
to sing in a choir, or to be placed in a band. That's right, they place kids in bands,
and the kids actually go out and have gigs and make money!


The organization was founded by a great person/musician/father and is somewhat
of a family business. Although SBYMA is overseen by a group of business executives,
you just can't ignore the heart that goes into its daily operations.

My sisters and I were raised playing sports and I will always remember
the times spent on the softball diamond as some of the most memorable, most
character-building, most treasured times of my life. 

I strongly believe that all children should have a place they can go where they will be
 surrounded by family, friends, and positive role models; a place where dedication, growth, 
and hard work are valued. Oh and I guess they can have fun too. HAH.


I go into SBYMA's office every morning and do a lot of administrative activities.
I never would have thought something like this could be so fulfilling. 
Yes, waking up at 7 AM is a pain in the you know what, but
the knowledge that the work I am doing has the potential to make an impact
on a young person's life (PLUS A SOY VANILLA LATTE FROM STARBUCKS)
keeps me going through the day with a smile.

That is all for now :)
Go do something for something/someone you believe in :)

3 comments:

Bryan Murray said...

That picture of the pierced lady will most likely haunt my dreams so I thank you for that. She kinda reminds me of the voodoo girl in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom btw. I always hated her...

Anyway, I do like your new piercing. Cute and simple, not boring. I don't know how I feel about those dermal things though. Seems a little intense. You should just buy a bedazzler instead :)

Also, I thought your silence really strengthened our relationship this weekend. With you not talking, I didn't have the opportunity to misinterpret your "female code language" and therefore you didn't have to get mad at me :) You not being able to talk just made me love you so much more! (hehe love you M).

Well I hope you enjoy reading this tomorrow, or in about 2 hrs, as you're sipping your latte getting ready to change the lives of the youth of Santa Barbara!!

-CM

Sarah said...

I'm so jealous. I've been wanting to get my piercings and tattoos done for awhile now!

And SBYMA seems like such an awesome organization. I'm glad it's the right fit for you and I agree 100% about kids needing that comfort zone to express themselves.

Look at you, accomplishing Day 0 goals left and right!

How To Get Gigs said...

Congratulations for successfully having a second piercing in the ear. It does look good in you.