"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day. And I believe in miracles."
~ Audrey Hepburn

9.17.2010

Icky Icky Poo

Today I went to the beach FOR THE FIRST TIME this summer.
I know, I am a disgrace to California. 

Not to mention I live literally 10 minutes walking distance from the beach. 
Don't get me wrong, I love going to the beach, I think I just take it for granite*. 
(*Movie quote! You know, like it's set in stone!)


My motivation for going to the beach was to accomplish goal 
#013: Swim in the ocean.
While I think the ocean happens to be one of the most gorgeous things on this earth,
I am realistic enough to acknowledge that it is also a disgusting cesspool. 
Come on. There are animals in it. Animal byproducts. Human waste. Toxic waste.
Everybody pees in it! Don't lie to me -- I know you pee in it!
Just thinking about what I would be swimming in (and inevitably ingesting)
makes me want to throw up everything I have eaten in the past six months.

Some people go to the beach to enjoy the waves, 
while others (like me) would rather: 

- read a book
- soak up some rays
- listen to an iPod
- build sandcastles
- play volleyball/frisbee/football
- stroll/skate/tandem-bike-ride along the sidewalk
- poke my toes in the water, giggle, and then run away.

I made it one of my goals to swim in the ocean because I think there comes a time
when we have to set our germaphobic tendencies aside and really enjoy the natural 
beauty that life has to offer. As we learned from the incredibly charming
Jake Gyllenhaal, life in a plastic bubble is not really a life at all. 



 My roomie Emily is a total beach bum so she leaped at the chance to go with me. 
The two of us took a short walk to Ellwood beach (very secluded. We are pretty romantic)
and frolicked in the water a bit before actually swimming. It was sooo cold and I could feel
all of the slimy seaweed sliding all over my legs! The water wasn't very clear
so I was using a lot of mind power not to imagine the creatures/diseases that could be 
floating around me.  However, after a bit of hysterical screaming, I finally swam :)

Conclusion: ocean swimming is pretty legit. Pool swimming is for pansies.
(I bet Bear Grylls swims in the ocean)
Annddd I definitely need to do this more often!


5 comments:

Velma Williams said...

lovely pictures. When someone has something thats at the reach at anytime, it gets taken for granted.
ps: i live by the riverside, but i dont take walks on it like I did when I lived faraway (some people don't get it) lol

Cella Babee said...

Thanks! I hope my post inspired you to return to your riverside walks :)

Jackie said...

Cute blog! I love this Day Zero Project. I've been thinking about starting another blog like this, but I have no idea what to make as my goal.

Anyway, I totally agree with you about the beach. I've swam in it, but I prefer not to for all the reasons you mentioned.

Have a great week!

Cella Babee said...

Thanks Jackie! I recommend that you start the Day Zero Project!! It is so much fun and I promise that once you start making goals, you won't be able to stop! <3

Emily said...

Let's go again...in six days (after our 10 day piercing waiting period is over).